The generally up to date variation offers a fascinating method of instructing U.S. historical past that promotes severe considering and social accountability. In quantity 2, scholars examine 19 major ancient episodes starting with the period of growth and reform and finishing with difficulties dealing with american citizens within the modern period. A accomplished Instructor’s guide is additionally to be had for purchase.
In quantity 2, scholars can grapple with such moral dilemmas as:
- Should Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton have supported the adoption of the 15th modification to the U.S. Constitution?
- Was investigative journalist Nellie Bly justified in mendacity to realize entry to the Women’s Lunatic Asylum?
- Was Woodrow Wilson correct to name for access of the us into international warfare I?
- Should interned eastern american citizens have volunteered to serve within the usa military in the course of international battle II?
- Should Hollywood director Elia Kazan have named communists in his testimony earlier than the home Un-American actions Committee?
- Should consultant John Conyers have brought laws for reparations to African Americans?
“A strong method of studying historical past. The full of life and intriguing precise tales supply considerable history to have interaction scholars in discussions of well-framed questions which are perennial and important.”
—Diana Hess, dean, college of Wisconsin–Madison
“Ethical reasoning is joined with old reasoning—values with inquiry—in an array of good chosen situations. This curriculum belongs in each U.S. background classroom.”
—Walter C. Parker, collage of Washington
“Clearly equipped and eminently balanced, those volumes can help scholars develop into electorate who can speak throughout their differences.”
—Jonathan Zimmerman, collage of Pennsylvania
“These volumes can assist construct a deeper realizing of important historic techniques and current fabulous possibilities to interact in severe thinking.”
—Amy Bloom, J.D., social reviews schooling advisor, Oakland Schools